In case you missed my Instagram series on Back-to-School with Essential Oils, I wanted to document all of the information (and more!) into a blog post for you to refer back to! 🙂 Whether you’re a teacher or a parent, the purpose of this post is to equip you and your family for the upcoming school year. Thank you to Pure Joy Essentials for some of this information!
Unfortunately, many personal care products, vitamins, and supplements are formulated with harmful chemicals and synthetics that can be very damaging to the body long term. We definitely want to avoid this not only for ourselves, but for our precious growing children. Thus, every product I talk about in this post is from Young Living because they make all of their products WITHOUT the use of harmful or synthetic chemicals. Young Living has a SEED TO SEAL promise that goes above and beyond organic standards to provide natural products that work. They farm without the use of pesticides, hand weeds fields, and performs rigorous tests to produce products with the purest and highest quality. If a batch doesn’t meet these high standards, they will not bottle it up and send it to you. After this post, you will know better, so you can do better.
- I cannot treat, diagnose or cure you, and the information is for educational purposes only. I am here to help you learn what essential oils are and how you can incorporate them into your life.
- Remember that you are responsible for your family’s health. This class includes holistic alternative ideas, not medical treatment.
+ Start off with a nutritious breakfast!
Young Living provides great breakfast options using Einkorn flour. Einkorn is an ancient grain that has higher levels of protein, vitamins, trace minerals, and lower gluten levels (14 chromosomes) than hybridized, modern wheat (42 chromosomes). I kid you not, my two year old LOVES the cereal and the granola “crunchies” in her yogurt. (I do too!)
Vitamins & Supplements
+ Add in a pre/probiotic. Gut health is important for healthy emotions and the ability to absorb nutrients.
Life 9 – (adult) probiotic that combines 17 billion live cultures from nine beneficial bacteria strains. It helps promote healthy digestion, supports gut health, and helps maintain normal intestinal function for the overall support of a healthy immune system.
Kidscents MightyPro – (kid) pre/probiotic packaged like a Pixy Stix to combine over 8 billion active, live cultures. It tastes like candy, but does its job in supporting gastrointestinal and general immune health in children; promotes a healthy digestive system, and healthy bacteria in the gut; provides support against occasional digestive discomfort; helps with diarrhea, gas, bloating, and occasional bouts of constipation; successfully colonizes the GI tract.
+ Add in a multi-vitamin. If you’re like me, you may be worried that you and/or your family are not getting the proper vitamins, minerals, and nutrients into your diets.
Master Formula – (adult) a full spectrum, multinutrient complex, providing premium vitamins, minerals, and food-based nutriment to support general health and well-being. Contains Vitamins A, B complex, C, D3, E, K, calcium, magnesium, potassium, other minerals, prebiotics, turmeric …
Kidscents MightyVites Chewable Tablets – (kid) full range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients that deliver whole-food multinutrient support to your child’s general health and well-being. MightyVites benefit from Orgen-kids®, a nutrient-dense, food-based superfruit, plant, and vegetable complex. Free of preservatives and artificial colors and flavors, these delicious, berry-flavored chewables give your children full nutritional support.
NingXia Red is packed with superfoods to support overall wellness. This antioxidant-packed drink supports energy levels, normal cellular function, and whole-body and normal eye health. A daily shot of 2–4 ounces helps support overall wellness with powerful antioxidants.
Thieves is a blend of essential oils that offer cleansing properties and immune support. It was derived after researching what 15th century thieves put on themselves to avoid contracting the plague while they robbed the bodies of dead and sick. When the thieves were captured, they were asked to share their secret to staying immune in exchange for a more lenient punishment. What was in it?! A blend of highly potent oils: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary. Best part is it comes in the starter kit!
If you’re a teacher or have school-aged kids and want to stay above the wellness line, roll this on the bottoms of feet and/or down spines in the morning before heading out the door! ✋🏻 I’m making a vow to use this more consistently this year as I’m guilty of being more reactive than proactive last year, and we happened to have more illness than I would have liked 😔 I plan on using this roller before school, the gym, birthday parties, sporting practices, etc.
If you want to know how many drops of Thieves to put into your roller, click this link for the “Oil Dilution Calculator”!
With Young Living’s oils being so pure and potent, it is easy to forget that 1 drop will go a long way. 30 drops of oil in a 10mL roller will work, but maybe 5-10 is all that is needed for the same result. Neat oils can always be diluted in a roll on to great effect.
It is best to START SLOW, and dilute more that suggested here, then you can always add more EO or carrier oil to make YOUR perfect blend. The amount listed is the maximum amount recommended and usually will not be needed. I usually halve the suggested amount, especially for my kids.
“HEAD SPRAY” 🐜🕷🦟
Thanks to Victoria Magee @vmagee for perfecting this recipe that also doubles as a hair detangler! Also, the Little Mermaid dress was not staged… Mairen lives in it 🧜♀️
In a 2 oz. spray bottle,
+ Squirt of Lavender Mint Conditioner
+ 5 drops EACH of Cedarwood, Geranium, Lavender, Rosemary, and Tea Tree
+ Fill with water
+ Shake and spray
If you’re a teacher, or have school-aged kids, spray this on the scalp, focusing around the ear area, while getting ready in the morning!
BACKPACK / BAG ESSENTIALS
+ Thieves Hand Sanitizer: Effectively eliminates 99.99% of common, harmful germs and bacteria with its cleansing properties of 100% pure Thieves® blend and Peppermint essential oil. As a bonus, because it is infused with soothing aloe vera gel, this lightweight formula leaves hands soft and smells divine.
+ Thieves Spray: Quick and convenient, this portable essential oil spray is ideal for cleaning small surfaces. Just one small spray freshens public surfaces, gym equipment, shopping carts, restaurant high chairs, etc.
+ Inner Defense: (adults) reinforces systemic defenses, creates unfriendly terrain for yeast/fungus, promotes healthy respiratory function, and contains potent essential oils like oregano, thyme, and Thieves® which are rich in thymol, carvacrol, and eugenol for immune support.
+ Super C Chewable Tablets: a powerful immune-supporting supplement with premium ingredients to deliver desirable polyphenols, carotenoids, and optimal amounts of vitamin C in a convenient chewable tablet.
+ “Butterfly Roller”: If your child has a hard time with change or feels anxious about the anticipation or newness of the school year, essential oils can provide great emotional support. Teachers, this is for you too! Great for that dreaded back to school insomnia, jitters before Back-to-School Night, or if you have a tough class.
+ 5 drops EACH of lavender + Stress Away (both starter kit oils)
+ Fill with carrier oil
Below are some diffuser blends (with oils from the starter kit!) to help with focus during school work and homework, as well as calming oils to unwind after school and into “witching hour”. 🌿🌱
+ 3 lemon 🍋 (kit)
+ 3 peppermint 🌱(kit)
HAPPY HOMEWORK 📚
+ 5 valor 💜 (kit)
+ 3 peppermint 🌱(kit)
CHILL VIBES ✌🏻
+ 4 lavender 💜 (kit)
+ 5 Stress Away 💚(kit)
WITCHING HOUR ⏰
+ 5 Peace & Calming (kit)
+ 5 frankincense (kit)
Before I draw a bath for the kids, I start up and run the diffusers in each of their rooms. This way, when they’re done with their baths and return to their rooms to go through the rest of the bedtime routine, the rooms already have all the sleepy vibes.
- KidScents SleepyIze: combination of lavender, geranium, Roman chamomile, sacred frankincense, bergamot, tangerine, valerian, and rue.
- Seedlings Calm (NEW!): a bottle of lullabies. Gentle blend of Lavender, Coriander, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, and Geranium.
- Peace and Calming (kit): sweet blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy.
- Lavender (kit)
- Gentle Baby: blend of Coriander, Geranium, Palmarosa, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, and other sweet-smelling essential oils.
In addition to the KidScents collection of essential oils, we also use the KidScents personal care products. These essential-oil infused products are made with safe, mild formulas just for your little ones.
- Shampoo: the natural components in this shampoo—aloe, MSM, Chamomile, and Tangerine and Lemon essential oils—effectively and gently cleanse without causing irritation. Contains NO synthetic perfumes, colors, or toxic ingredients.
- Bath Gel: Safe, gentle soap that cleanses and protects the skin. It is formulated with natural ingredients, MSM, aloe vera, anti-oxidants, and pure therapeutic-grade Lemon and Cedarwood essential oils. Additionally, this liquid soap is pH balanced for children’s skin. It contains NO mineral oils, synthetic perfumes, artificial colorings, or toxic ingredients. A little goes a long way, so we apply a small amount to a mesh pouf shower ball to work up a luxurious lather. From our personal experience, we have also found the bath gel to be “tear-free”. Although it doesn’t specifically state this on the label, my children have never reacted when the soap accidentally trickled into her eyes. Lastly, the bath gel has a fresh clean scent, which I take joy in, when I wrap then up in their warm towels.
- Lotion: Safe, gentle ingredients to moisturize and soften sensitive skin. The premium blend of natural ingredients, MSM, shea butter, aloe vera, and pure therapeutic-grade Cedarwood and Geranium essential oils supports healthy-looking skin for children of all ages. It contains NO mineral oils, synthetic perfumes, artificial colorings, or toxic ingredients. As with the bath gel, a little goes a long way, so we apply the lotion all over, focusing on her arms and legs. Lastly, it has a floral woodsy aroma that makes them smell SO GOOD right before bed!
- KidScents Toothpaste: uses Thieves and Slique Essence essential oil blends to gently clean and protect teeth. This safe and effective blend promotes healthy teeth without the use of fluoride, dyes, synthetic colors, artificial flavors, or preservatives. My kids LOVE brushing their teeth with this morning, night, and even in between!
Thank you for following along with this Back to School with Essential Oils series! If I can leave you with this one small takeaway, then I’ve done my job here…
PLEASE check your products for “fragrance” or “parfum” in the ingredients list. “Fragrance” or “parfum” is an umbrella term for a combination of nearly 3,000 ingredients commonly consisting of harmful constituents (toxins) that are possible carcinogens (cancer causing). “Fragrance” or “parfum” does not come from a flower field in France – it is likely made in a chemical plant here in Jersey. (No offense to my beautiful Garden State! I do love living here!) In all seriousness though, I do not take the terms “fragrance” or “parfum” lightly.
If you’d like to do more of your own research, just google it! 🙂 If you’re ready to take baby steps to make better switches in your home, please reach out to me, and I’d be happy to help you through it one-step-at-a-time.