Hello there and welcome!!!
If you’re here, maybe you are curious (or skeptical) about essential oils, maybe you just ordered and received your Premium Starter Kit, or maybe you just want to learn more about these bottles of plant power!! Whatever the case may be, I’m bringing it back to the basics with Essential Oils 101!!
What are essential oils?
Essential oils have enhanced the emotional, physical, and spiritual wellness in lives for thousands of years, offering a variety of benefits from balance to beauty to wellness, and even use in the home.
By definition, an essential oil is the aromatic liquid that is within many shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, seeds, fruit, rinds, resins, and herbs. Usually, they are extracted through careful steam distillation, resin tapping, or cold-pressing processes.
Without getting too scientific on you, the chemistry of an essential oil is very complex and may consist of over a hundred different and unique chemical compounds. The components of an essential oil makes them diverse in their effects. In the human body, they provide support for every system: circulatory, endocrine, immune, muscular, respiratory, and skeletal.
How do you use essential oils?
You can access the power of essential oils many ways, but the three most common practices include topical application, aromatic diffusion, and dietary consumption.
- Topical Application – apply to the skin either neat (without being diluted) or diluted with a carrier oil. The inside label of the essential oil label will have topical directions.
- Aromatic – diffusing essential oils into the air, directly inhaling them from the bottle, palms of your hands, or bowl of hot water. The inside label of the essential oil label will have aromatic directions.
- Internally – ingesting for diet or flavoring food. The inside label of the Vitality essential oil label will have internal directions.
(A very brief) Essential Oils History
The Bible has over two hundred references to aromatics. In the New Testament, it is recorded that the wise men presented Christ the child frankincense and myrrh!
Additionally, ancient writings document aromatics were used by some of the oldest cultures for physical and spiritual needs. The Egyptians were masters in using essential oils and other aromatics in the embalming process, for medicinal purposes, and to create fragrant perfumes. The Romans diffused essential oils to purify their temples and political buildings, as well as in steam communal bath homes. Those are just a couple of examples, but essential oils date back thousands of years!
How are essential oils made? Do they work?
The key to producing a pure and potent essential oil is to preserve the delicate aromatic components within it. The plant material should be free of herbicides and other agrochemicals. Then, it should be distilled in stainless steel cooking chambers at low pressure, low temperature, and at the right time of day.
Did you know that it requires a large volume of plant material to produce small amounts of a distilled essential oil? For example, it takes 22 pounds of rose petals to produce 1 bottle of rose oil!
As demand for quality essential oils increases and supply decreases, it is a common practice by some essential oil companies to dilute essential oils with carrier oils or synthetic components to increase volume at a reduced cost, and maximize profits. Adulterated and mislabeled essential oils are not only ineffective, but can also present dangers for consumers like rashes, burns, skin irritations, and allergic reactions.
Before you purchase essential oils, it is important to know about the integrity of the essential oil company or vendor you are purchasing from. First, check to see if the company grows and distills organically grown plants on their own farms, or from vetted suppliers. Next, check to see if the company uses their own state-of-the-art facilities where they test, formulate, and manufacture their products. Do they personally inspect the fields and distilleries to verify that no synthetic or harmful solvents or chemicals are being used? Is the distillation facilities part of the farm where the plants are grown so that the oils are freshly distilled, or do the plants wait days to be processed and then lose their potency? Does the company conduct rigorous internal and third-party validation audits for purity and quality? Lastly, how many years experience does the company have doing this?
Why Young Living?
Young Living is the industry and world leader of the essential oils movement, paving the way for every other essential oil company to improve processes that protect our planet and ensure the highest quality standards. They source products from carefully vetted corporate-owned farms, partner farms, and Seed-to-Seal certified suppliers. Their Seed-to-Seal® commitment is a rigorous quality control standard to help ensure their products meet strict specifications. Young Living will never knowingly compromise oils by adding synthetics, contaminants, cheap fillers, or by using unethical production practices. Lastly, their essential oils are tested extensively both internally and by third-parties. If their exhaustive tests show that a product does not meet standards, they reject it. Young Living produces products for a purpose, not a profit. On April 1, 2019, Young Living celebrated their 25th anniversary!
What is the best way to get started with essential oils?
If you are thinking about diving into essential oils, it can be overwhelming! What oils should I start with? How do I use them? The Premium Starter Kit is the easiest way to get into essential oils because it contains a diffuser and the twelve most popular essential oils, for hands down, the best value and bang for your buck! The kit includes:
- Desert Mist™ Diffuser,
- Premium Essential Oils Collection: Lavender, Peppermint Vitality™, Lemon Vitality™, Citrus Fresh Vitality™, Frankincense, Thieves® Vitality™, Valor™, Raven™, DiGize™ Vitality™, PanAway®, Stress Away™, and Peace & Calming
- 2 AromaGlide™ Roller Fitments (roller tops),
- Thieves Household Cleaner 1-oz. sample, or spray (packaging varies)
- 2 NingXia Red® 2-oz. samples
- 1 Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier
Here is a brief breakdown on how to use each of the oils in the kit. I promise you will use every single oil!
- Lavender: “Swiss army knife” of essential oils for its many uses including relaxation, skin, and sleep support.
Peppermint: head tension relief; enhances flavor of water, coffee, and baked goods.
- Lemon: may help support the immune system; home cleaning; enhances flavor of water and food.
- Citrus Fresh: freshens the air and eliminate odors; mood booster.
- Frankincense: top skin oil; helps smooth the appearance of skin; diffuse during meditation, prayer, yoga to help with grounding and purpose.
- Thieves: immune powerhouse; helps support a healthy immune system and maintain overall wellness.
- Valor: most popular emotional oil. Greet each day with a positive attitude or use at the end of a challenging day.
- Raven: supports a healthy respiratory system.
- DiGize: top oil for supporting the digestive system.
- PanAway: apply after exercise to soothe muscles.
- Stress Away: another top emotional oil; “relaxation in a bottle”; promotes wellness.
- Peace & Calming: emotional and sleep support; a gentle, sweet blend for bedtime routines, or to settle down the house.
For more detailed uses, please visit THIS blog post!
How do I order?
If you’d like to order essential oils, it’s best to sign up here as a “Member” and purchase the Premium Starter Kit ($160 or 100 PV), which is what I initially did. Please ensure that my ID (#13687348) is in the sponsor + enroller field.
Members enjoy 24% off retail pricing on ALL Young Living products including oils, Thieves, Savvy Minerals, and more FOR LIFE! To maintain a wholesale membership and keep it active, you must spend $50 per calendar year.
THERE IS NO MONTHLY PURCHASE COMMITMENT FOR MEMBERS! Also, THERE IS NEVER A COMMITMENT TO SELL OILS!
How will I know what to do with my oils?
Once I get the confirmation email from Young Living that you are enrolled, I will send you a welcome e-mail with resources and links to our private Facebook groups. You will be welcomed into a resourceful community who educate, encourage, and inspire one another how to use essential oils in their everyday lives. You’ll also receive a welcome package in the mail from me with a getting started guide, diffuser recipes, roller recipes, and more goodies!
Until then, you can also follow along with me on Instagram @kate.deverin
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!