I’ve been thinking about what we’re going to gift people for the holidays already. One of my favorite go-to gifts in the past was the Anthropologie candle, but I’ve learned since last Christmas how toxic candles really are. Did you know that one hour of burning a candle produces the same harmful effects as smoking a single cigarette?
So, instead of gifting candles this year, I think we’re going to go the essential oil reed stick diffuser route. While I would love to gift all of my family and friends an electric diffuser and set of essential oils (i.e. starter kit), it is an investment! I think this simple DIY is a budget friendly alternative!
- A glass container with a narrow opening. (You could also use 8 oz. mason jars and put one of these caps on top for thick reed sticks to come out of, or these caps for thin reed sticks to come out of)
- 4-5 reed diffuser sticks
- 1/4 cup carrier oil (i.e. fractionated coconut oil)
- 20-25 drops of Young Living essential oil(s)
* Side note: I purchased the Northern Lights Set from Young Living to make mine.
1. Mix the essential oils and carrier oil together in glass container.
2. Place the reed diffuser sticks in the container. It will take some time for the oil to travel up the sticks. To speed up the process, flip the sticks after several hours.
3. Continue to flip the sticks every couple of days to refresh the scent.
The essential oil reed stick diffuser would be a great addition to any bathroom counter, night stand, etc. I personally went with the Northern Lights Black Spruce essential oil for its rich, woodsy, invigorating scent that reminds me of winter, but you can put any essential oil or combination of essential oils you like! 🙂
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!