Four months after having my second daughter, I started using essential oils for aromatherapy purposes. At the time, I did not know of all of the health benefits essential oils were capable of. Through the Facebook groups that I was plugged into upon becoming a member, I learned that essential oils could be used to help with sleep. Say what?! With two children under 2 years-old, I was not getting enough sleep, which was affecting my overall health, mood, and mothering. I wanted to choose the best and most natural route for me and my family, so I turned to essential oils, and was very pleasantly surprised when I learned they actually worked!!! Thank you to Cusp Essentials and Rose Gold Wellness for this information!
Lavender is a popular oil that people turn to for quality sleep, and with good reason. It is so calming and relaxing, and a great choice for sleep support. I promise, your bedroom WILL smell like a spa!
- Diffuse at night
- Roll on bottoms of feet
- Epsom salt bath with lavender before bed
- Create a linen spray with lavender and water in a mister bottle. Directions can be found HERE
Frankincense has been sought after since ancient times. It has an earthy aroma that creates a safe and comforting environment. When you diffuse or inhale this oil, it helps to collect your thoughts. Because we’ve all had those nights when we can’t shut our minds off, right?!
- Grounding and spiritual connectedness in meditation, prayer, yoga.
- Creates radiant skin, add to lotion or moisturizer
- One of the 3 oils in the “Glow Serum”.
CEDARWOOD 15ml $11.50
Cedarwood has a warm, woodsy aroma and is one of my favorites to diffuse at night. The earthy aroma creates a calming and soothing environment, which is perfect for your evening routine.
- Diffuse at night
- Roll on bottoms of feet
- Smooths skin, add to lotion and skin care products
- Creates shinier hair, add to shampoo and conditioner
- One of the four oils for the “Anthro candle” diffuser blend
- Add to DIY Outdoor Spray to repel insects
VETIVER 5ml $21.25
Another great oil to have in your arsenal for sleep support! It comes from a perennial grass native to tropical regions in Asia and has an earthy, exotic aroma. It is steam distilled from the plant’s root, giving it a warm, woodsy scent.
- Add to evening bath.
- Combine with carrier oil for evening massage.
GERMAN CHAMOMILE VITALITY 5ml $37.50
German chamomile has been used in herbal remedies for thousands of years throughout ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. It is steam distilled from the flowers of the plant.
German Chamomile helps with feelings of calmness, peace and patience. It supports calming occasional nervous tension, and a creates healthy outlook during PMS.
- Add a drop to a fresh cup of tea.
- Roll with carrier oil on bottoms of feet.
- Diffuse at night.
VALERIAN 5ml $38.50
Valerian essential oil promotes feelings of relaxation and eases occasional restlessness that can keep you from unwinding in the evening. Diffuse this oil for the perfect bedtime ritual, or massage it into the bottoms of your feet after a long day to foster moments of peace. Personally, I do not like the smell of this oil, so buy at your own risk!
PEACE & CALMING 5ml $34.75
A gentle, sweet blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy.
With a comforting, fresh aroma, it creates a relaxing environment that’s especially great for homes with children. You’ll love that you can use this oil for your children’s bedtime and then for yourself for a moment of quiet after the house has settled down.
- Roll on bottoms of feet
- Combine with carrier oil for evening massage
- Add to epsom salt for calming bath
- Add to Bath & Shower Gel Base
- Before, during, or after meltdowns
GENTLE BABY 5ml $21.75
A blend of Coriander, Geranium, Palmarosa, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Roman Chamomile, and other sweet-smelling essential oils.
Gentle Baby’s soothing, soft fragrance s calming for parents and children.
- Diffusing in your home or child’s bedroom in the evening;
- Adding to the bath;
- Creating a linen spray. Directions can be found HERE
SLEEPYIZE (KidScents) 5ml $17.25
Combination of lavender, geranium, Roman chamomile, sacred frankincense, bergamot, tangerine, valerian, and rue.
- Diffuse at night during evening routine.
- Apply to children’s feet as part of a before-nap or bedtime routine.
- Add 2-4 drops to a warm evening bath.
- Rub into hands and smooth over your child’s pillow.
- Dream Blend: 5 Lavender + 3 Cedarwood + 1 Vetiver
- Sleep Blend: 2 Vetiver + 1 Lavender + 2 Frankincense + 1 Cedarwood
* You can create your own diffuser blends using any of the oils I mentioned. There is really no right or wrong way to do it.
DIY MONSTER SPRAYS
- Add essential oils (below) to 4 oz. mister bottle.
- Add 2 tablespoons of witch hazel
- Fill with water
Mix up these homemade monster sprays and keep them on hand to use during your bedtime ritual. Help the kids get to sleep by spraying them together inside closets, under the bed, and around curtains to keep their fears at bay.
Closet Monster Skedaddle
◊ 3 drops Bergamot
◊ 3 drops Lemongrass
◊ 3 drops Grapefruit
Under-the-Bed Brute Begone
◊ 4 drops Cedarwood
◊ 3 drops Lavender
◊ 2 drops Vetiver
◊ 5 drops Stress Away™
◊ 4 drops Ylang Ylang
Thank you so much for visiting my blog for information on essential oils and sleep support. We know how important getting a proper night sleep is to every aspect of our life: family, health, work, etc. so I hope the things I covered were beneficial to you, and things you can incorporate into your life to maximize your sleep.
How many of you thought to yourself, “I could use that one” to at least one of the oils I covered? How about to three oils? Five or more oils?
Everyone needs oils for a simple, chemical-free, lifestyle. So, if you’d like to get started, please reach out, and I’d love to set you up!
Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information represents what I, an Independent Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils, have chosen to do to take charge of my own personal health and that of my family. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.
Information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors, who retain copyright as marked.