My mission for this blog is for it to be an educational resource for all oil enthusiasts. Everyone from newcomers to the oil scene looking to learn the basics, accomplished “oilers” searching for new DIY ideas, to the seasoned aficionados willing to collaborate and share their own knowledge and expertise with the community I’m building here.
As I’ve mentioned, I started this journey at the start of the new year, so I am by NO means an essential oils specialist. The beauty of this blog, I think, is that I’ll be learning and sharing right alongside you! In fact, the course of my content will be purposeful in that I will be sharing my progression (baby steps) through oils.
Which brings me to todays post…
You’ve ordered your oils, joined the oil community via private Facebook groups, and received your shiny new Premium Starter Kit in the mail. Now, it is time to start diffusing!
- Pour warm tap, spring, or distilled water into the diffuser up to the fill line.
- Add 8-10 drops, total, of essential oils. However, you may want to start off using less drops, 4-5, until you get used to the strength of the aromas. Another word of caution, the oils drop out of the bottles fast!
- Align lid with groove base.
- Replace cover.
- Power diffuser. One press for high output mode (runs about 5 continuous hours), two presses for low output mode (runs about 8 continuous hours), or three presses for intermittent mode (runs about 10 hours intermittently). Four presses will power off the diffuser. * One of my favorite features of the Desert Mist Diffuser is that it will automatically power off after it has completely diffused your blend.
- The light functions include candle flicker mode (my favorite) and 10 color options. * At night when I’m ready to fall asleep, I turn off the light, but keep the diffuser running.
Here is a great YouTube clip I found from Young Living that shows the steps above:
How do I clean my diffuser?
According to the Operations Manual, “if essential oil begins to build up on the ultrasonic plate of the diffuser, gently wipe it off using a cleaning sponge or a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. If essential oil begins to build up on the clear lid of the diffuser, gently wipe it off using mild soap (Thieves) and water only. (Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives to clean the plastic housing.) Clean the ultrasonic plate regularly for best performance.” I’ll rinse the inside of my diffuser with fresh water after every use. Every one to two weeks I will give it a thorough clean as described above. You can use a gentle brush, like a paintbrush to get in the grooves and over the ultrasonic plate where the oils are diffused.
When removing excess water from the reservoir, pour from the rear of the diffuser to avoid spilling on the operating buttons or getting water in the internal air inlets. If water leaks into the air inlets, it will spill out through the bottom of the diffuser. NEVER submerge the diffuser in water as there are electronic parts in the base!
I’ll leave you off with some diffuser blend “recipes” that you can create using the PSK! Comment below with your favorite oil combinations!
I hope this was helpful! As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!
Happy oiling 🙂